Tuesday, 10 September 2013

Low Life on Planet Motherfucker!!!

  First of all, confession time. At first I wasn't that crazy about the Savage Worlds system. It was only after a few re-reads that I realized it was much more solid than I had initially given it credit for. My first thoughts on it were that it could be 'too random' in its rolls. That was before I realized the Wild Die and Bennies were what made it all work.
  So what made me take another look at a system I had initially (and wrongly) dismissed? I'd like to say it's because I am able to keep an open mind and all the positive feedback made me take another look at it unbiased with a more patient eye for the details that made it gel. I'd be lying.
  Low Life and Planet Motherfucker can be thanked for that. (Sure, Planet Motherfucker is a system neutral setting, but what little crunch it comes with fits with the Savage worlds system.)
  So now that my dirty secret is out, let's move on to the point of this post.

  I've recently purchased Planet Motherfucker and really enjoyed it, but truth be told it's a really short book with very little crunch. It's not a huge sin, given that Savage Worlds is a very easy system to use and the author wanted the setting to be as system neutral as possible, but it does make one look around for material to be used for it. Other than the main Savage Worlds book, my library only has two other products that uses that system: Low Life: Rise of the Lowly and its sourcebook The Whole Hole. It just so happens that the Low Life books are not only awesome by themselves as I already knew, but they are also awesome as material for other games that share the same system.
  While the idea of an adventure that crosses over both settings via a dimensional rift makes me giggle with glee (in a manly way), I'll simply tell you what I think you can grab from Low Life for your Planet motherfucker game. Or in other words 'Why you should get Low Life if you're running a Planet Motherfucker game.'

The Races



Boduls
  The descendants of humanity in Low Life, they can easily be used as 'radioactive mutants' in Planet Motherfucker.

Croaches
  Humanoid cockroaches. 'Nuff said.

Oofos
  Aliens. Customizable aliens that is, with many different racial edges and hindrances to choose from. How awesome is that?

Piles
  Should your game have magically (or radioactively) animated waste as a player character choice? Of course it should!

Tizn't

  Yes, that's a horned panda slug pimp. No that's not what they all look like...

  Tizn'ts are all different you see. Grab three different animals, give them a vaguely humanoid shape and you have a Tizn't. They are also highly customizable stats-wise and by the time you finish reading this sentence you'll already have an idea for at least one Tizn't concept. Admit it.

Flews
  Humanoid flies. Without wings. 'Nuff said. (These guys appear in The Whole Hole.)

  To make it clear, Low Life has more races than just those, but I wanted to showcase the ones that are the more obvious fits for Planet Motherfucker.

  Drugs! (The use of which I don't recommend in real life but find highly amusing in RPGs.)

  The Whole Hole contains a section on mushrooms and their effects, some of them which can give your character an epiphany!

Weird Weapons!

  Low Life has rules and guidelines on creating your own weird weaponry, which I think goes really well with Planet Motherfucker.

Weird Monsters!

  I'm sure your players think they've seen it all, even in a setting like Planet Motherfucker. I mean, they probably saw enough B-movies to be really hard to surprise. Well, I'd like to see their faces when you tell them a giant freaking foot is trying to stomp them to death!





  I think I've made my point. There's no way anything can top the giant foot that tries to stomp you to death so I'm stopping here.