Thursday 9 January 2014

OSR Online Campaign Info Post


  I will be starting an online OSR game fairly soon using a Google Hangout, which I'll be recording and uploading on YouTube in episodes of around 30 minutes. This post serves two purposes; The first is to introduce potential viewers to how I intend to run the game and the second is that I'll be able to point my players to this post for all the info they need.

The System We'll Use

  'Lamentations of the Flame Princess: Weird Fantasy Role-Playing (Grindhouse Edition)'.
  When it comes to equipment costs however, we'll be using the previous Deluxe Edition. That's because starting with the Grindhouse Edition the author of LotFP decided to use a silver coin standard instead of the traditional gold coin. I'd rather keep using the gold coin standard because every other OSR product I have makes use of the gold coin standard, so in the end it's less hassle to do it this way rather than spend a whole campaign constantly converting cost and treasure values. For every other aspect though, the Grindhouse Edition rules take preference.
  As a quick side-note, while we'll be using the LotFP rules, this does not necessarily mean the campaign will adhere to its author's personal gaming philosophies.
  You can grab both versions for free HERE.

The Type of Game It will Be

  Pretty much an 'anything goes' type of game. I will be coming up with my own stuff and adventures as well as using material published or posted online by others.
  I will be aiming for a 'Sandbox' type of campaign. That means that I will avoid railroading the story and allow players complete freedom in what they choose to do and where they choose to go.
  Player death is a real possibility in this game;  I will not pull my punches. Don't get me wrong, I'll always hope your characters make it out alive but I won't tweak anything in your favor. For example, if I roll a dangerous monster in a random encounter table and your characters happen to already be wounded, I won't send a single kobold in its stead. I'll send the dangerous monster.

Additional Rules

  - Critical Hits: I will be using different rules for Critical Hits as the campaign goes. That said, before each session I will always let you know which table we'll be using for those. If I forget to mention anything regarding Critical Hits, it will automatically mean that Critical Hits are simply automatic hits with no additional effects. If players want to come up with their own tables I might also use those from time to time, but keep in mind that adversaries and monsters will also use them. 

  - Terror, Horror and Madness rules will be used from Tales of the Grotesque and Dungeonesque (Page 56). 

  - Spellcasting: I will introduce spells from plenty of OSR sources, not only those seen in LotFP. If you play a spellcasting class, you'll have access to some new spells. If no player can cast spells, you can always sell the spell scrolls and spellbooks you find in treasures or loot from dead Magic-Users.
  We'll be using the rules of 'Dangerous Sorcery' and 'Whims of the Sublime' for Arcane and Divine spellcasting respectively, which you can find in Tales of the Grotesque and Dungeonesque II (Pages 20 and 24).

  - Character Death: Maybe there will be ways to bring dead characters back to life, maybe there won't. If you need to create a new character, we'll use the rule 'A Bequest to my Heir' from 'Tales of the Grotesque and Dungeonesque II' (Page 7).
 
  - We will use these rules if your character is wearing a cloak or backpack in the middle of combat.

- Additional Rules (Taken from DCC RPG):

Falling:
Falling causes 1d6 damage per 10’ fallen.
For every damage die that comes up a 6, the victim
breaks a bone. For each broken bone, the character permanently loses 1 point of Strength or Dexterity
(player’s choice). The affected limb, rib, or vertebrae
never heals quite right and affects the character’s
functioning from then on.
Firing into melee:
Combat is a constant swirl of activity. A character who uses a bow, crossbow, dart,
thrown dagger, or other missile fire weapon against
an opponent engaged in melee may hit an ally. If
the attack misses the intended target, there is a 50%
chance it hits an ally engaged in the melee. Determine that ally randomly.



(Last Edited on January 12, 2014)

No comments:

Post a Comment